[texhax] [tex-live] Do not symlink when installing TeXLive 2008 on K/Ubuntu Intrepid or Debian systems

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sun Mar 1 20:08:24 CET 2009

Dear Chandra,

yes, that is well known problem. Debian's package of texinfo installs
the GNU install-info as ginstall-info.

There are some things on the horizont, but for away for now:
- we on Debian are trying to replace dpkg install-info with GNU
  install-info in the long run
- texinfo/install-info will NOT be part of TeX Live 2009 anyway.

On So, 01 Mär 2009, R (Chandra) Chandrasekhar wrote:
> This choice inadvertently led to problems later on when apt-get and dpkg
> would not install or remove packages successfully.

Can you give me examples of packages NOT working correctly? because the
texinfo GNU install-info should be new enough in TL2008 to deal with
many packages.

Examples please ... best would be only the postinst code that calls the
install-info ... Thanks

Finally, if some ubuntu/debian guy wants to help me with the
Debian/install-info -> GNU/install-info transition please contact me,
there is URGENT need for that!

Best wishes

Norbert