[texhax] typesetting a critical text edition [parallel]

Uwe Lück uwe.lueck at web.de
Wed Jun 24 17:58:04 CEST 2009

Sergei may not have received this answer to his question.
+ another hint/question mixture concerning PDF interleaving:

At 23:30 20.06.09, jherrman at zoominternet.net wrote:
>On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 21:55:03 +0200, Sergei Mariev
><sergei.mariev at lrz.uni-muenchen.de> wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know of a terminal utility for Mac that splits pdfs into
> > single pages and then recombines the files again to a single
> > document?
>

>I've just published a critical edition with facing translation (using
>plain xetex with edmac and eplain). As Pierre suggested, I used a
>separate file for my translation, and manually split up my translation
>pages and interleaved them as individual PDF pages. It was a fast and
>painless process. I used pdftk (on the command line with Mac OS X) to
>split the files into individual pdf pages, and I used the built in Mac
>system utility (/System/Library/Automator/Combine PDF
>Pages.action/Contents/Resources/join.py) to reconcatenate after
>inserting the translation pages.
>
>Jud Herrman

A hint from Lars Madsen on "references in tex" makes me guess that the
pdfpages package,

     http://www.ctan.org/pkg/pdfpages

could be used as well for combining facing pages from different LaTeX runs.
But I haven't had a closer look at the package, I may be very wrong, or it
needs an additional trick, sorry ...

-- Uwe.