[texhax] LaTeX equivalent of Paul Taylor's abbrevs.sty?

Philip G. Ratcliffe philip.ratcliffe at fastwebnet.it
Fri Jun 19 11:00:23 CEST 2009

> I just fount Paul Taylor’s abbrev.sty, at
> <http://paultaylor.eu/tex/abbrevs.sty>, which provides macros
> for things like e.g., i.e., etc.  There seems to be a fair
> amount of TeXnique so that one can write \etc without
> escaping the space and get {\it etc}.\␣
>
> Is there a LaTeX package that can do a similar thing?  Or is
> there someone willing to hold my hand while I LaTeXify it?

Does it not work "as is" under LaTeX?

Anyway, here are a couple of packages that I've developed over the years (and do actually use pretty regularly), which I could upload to CTAN (and maintain properly) if there were sufficient interest.

As the name suggests, foreign.sty  does rather more than just define abbreviations and it's  xpuncuate.sty that actually handles the following periods, commas etc.

Cheers,  Phil