[texhax] TrueType or OpenType fonts and microtypography?

Peter Seibel peter at gigamonkeys.com
Wed Jun 3 17:06:09 CEST 2009

[Apologies if you've seen this before; I sent this same query to the
pdftex list a few days ago but have had no replies.]

I'm typesetting a book but I may also need to let the publisher pick
the fonts we're going to use. If they give me some arbitrary TrueType
or OpenType fonts will I be able to convert them for use with pdfLaTeX
in such a way that it will still be able to do:

 1. Ligatures
 2. Proper kerning
 3. All the fancy stuff the microtype package does (esp. hanging punctuation)
 4. Anything else I would care about if I knew enough to care.

?

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel