[texhax] [tex-live] systems/texlive/tlnet/2008/archive not updated anymore

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 20:28:30 CEST 2009

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 2:11 PM, Uwe Siart<uwe.siart at tum.de> wrote:

> I understood that package updates for TL08 will reappear as soon as TL09
> is released. Only TL08 infrastructure is frozen forever.

The trouble is that packages to be included into updates should be
repackaged by TL team and if I understand correctly the repackaging
scheme of TL2009 differs from one of TL2008. I also understand that TL
team just has no resources to repackage twice. This is not automatic
process as many package authors have different ideas how package
submission should look like. So, tlmgr 2008 most likely will not
update any package. It does not render it useless as there are other
commands like list, show, ... but no updates.

If I understand correctly there is a good chance that TL2009 will
self-update to TL2010 but not this time

> But I don't see any good reason for not switching to TL09. Jepp, ok, the
> full installation takes a while. I'd expect, however, that 'tlmgr update
> --all' in TL08 will be pretty much the same after months of stagnancy.

Only very few of my esteemed colleagues switched from teTeX3 to TL.
They explain that some ancient file will stop compiling. I have seen
few such files and one of the biggest mysteries in the Universe is why
these files ever compiled :)

Victor