[texhax] Using eurm10 font chart

Barbara Beeton bnb at ams.org
Mon Jul 13 21:31:28 CEST 2009

    I need some greek letters that I see in the file amsndoc.dvi (p.38 for me),
    under the eurm10 family.

    I use plain TeX.

    I put:

you shouldn't actually need the extra \teneurm
in \def\bb -- i suggest a definition modeled on
\def\eufm (p.11 of amsfndoc):

that way it should also be usable for other
sizes if you decide to extend your definitions
to include \scriptfont et al.

    , and it works if I do:

    $$\bb A$$

    ; but, if I do:

    $$\bb \varphi$$

    , it does not work.  What is the best way to solve this?

this is a function of how \varphi is defined.
in plain.tex it's

which fixes the font as family 1 (cmr).  this
is essentially the case for any non-latin
symbol.  i suggest redefining \varphi thus:

i realize that the eurm font isn't covered
very well (not at all?) in amsfndoc; that's
up for revision later this year, so i'll put
on the list a note to warn that the non-latin
items in eurm aren't accessible by the "usual"
							-- bb