[texhax] Using textcomp symbol with New Century Schoolbook

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI eduardo at kalinowski.com.br
Sun Jan 4 19:26:46 CET 2009

    I was retypesetting a document from a couple years ago, but I've
come across a problem.

    The document uses the New Century Schoolbook font. In one or two
places, however, I need the \textcurrency symbol which is made available
through the textcomp package. But I get an error, like the following
example shows:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{newcent}
\usepackage{textcomp}
\begin{document}
\textcurrency
\end{document}

What I get is

! Package textcomp Error: Symbol \textcurrency not provided by
(textcomp)                font family pnc in TS1 encoding.
(textcomp)                Default family used instead.

See the textcomp package documentation for explanation.
Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.8 \textcurrency

I understand the symbol is not available and the symbol from the default
font is used. I'm OK with that, the symbol does appear and looks good
enough. But is there a way to get rid of the error?

--
I don't wanna argue, and I don't wanna fight,
But there will definitely be a party tonight...

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo at kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb