[texhax] how to use lettergothic?

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 23:43:35 CET 2009

Karl Berry said the following at 02/22/2009 03:08 PM :
>     So could you please explain what
>     the correct algorithm is?
>
> The name used with \font must match (exactly) the .tfm filename.  That
> is the only reliable algorithm.  It is fruitless to try to deduce such
> names.

Oh... I see; I shouldn't have used
  \font\rm=ugmr8r

I should have used
  \font\rm=ugmr8t

(although I don't understand what the "r" and "t" signify; but I see that
one produces the correct result [i.e., with spaces between words], whereas
the other doesn't).

> Exception: unless you are using XeTeX or (one day) LuaTeX, in which case
> you can use system fonts by their system names.

Life will be so much easier when TeX fonts are automagically handled like
fonts in the rest of the system. To me it's still black magic, even after
years of sporadic fighting with it. If it weren't for people like you, I'd
still be using Computer Modern for everything.

  Doc

PS I see that luatex 0.28 is included with Kubuntu. Maybe I'll play with
that a bit, to get a flavour of what's coming. I don't see any version
numbers on the luatex site, though, so I don't know how recent 0.28 is.

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR