[texhax] Large Project

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Wed Dec 23 19:42:52 CET 2009

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009, Patrick M. Rutkowski wrote:

> I should note that I'm using Plain TeX. (I expect some of you might
> have picked up on that from my use of epsf.tex).
> I'm going to try the \input method, where you keep separate chapters
> in separate files; sounds like it'll work :-)

Another option with plain TeX is that, in addition to having a separate
tex file for each chapter, also more all your macros to a separate file,
say preamble.tex. Then, in preamble.tex define a macro

and start the individual chapter files by

\ifx\undefined\mypreambleloaded \input preamble \fi

Then you can compile each file individually without making any changes
in the sources.