[texhax] Need a faster typesetting system

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Tue Dec 15 16:20:58 CET 2009

On Dec 15, 2009, at 1:28 AM, ecordy75 wrote:

> I need to use a WYSIWYG typesetting program only.

My suggestion would be to try either LyX (What You See Is What You Mean)

http://www.lyx.org

  or TeXMacs (what you see is what you want).

http://www.texmacs.org/

Either of these should be better able to handle large equations and
complex documents than Word (I wonder if you don't have some physical
problem w/ your PC or other difficulty w/ your Windows installation
--- that's an awful lot of crashing --- I'd suggest doing a hardware
diagnostic to at least test your memory).

To typeset the file which you provided in LaTeX you simply need to add:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{amsfonts}
\begin{document}

to the beginning of the document (called the preamble)

and then close out the document w/:

\end{document}

You'll also need to indicate the ampersand in the title should appear
as an ampersand --- set it as for instance:

Mishkov, Rumen L. Generalization of the Formula of Faa Di Bruno for a
Composite Function with a Vector Argument Internat. \emph{J. Math. \&
Math. Sci.} Vol 24, No. 7 (2000) 481-491.

Once you've made the above changes, the file you provided should
import into LyX just fine, then you could continue editing in that.

Here's a tutorial which should be of help:

http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/~matloff/lyx.html

William

--
William Adams