[texhax] Migrating from Windows to Mac

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Mon Dec 14 16:45:58 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 02:53:22PM +0100, Tom Backer Johnsen wrote:

> Oleg Katsitadze wrote:
> >Hi Tom,
> >
> >On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 20:34:31 +0100, Tom Backer Johnsen
> ><backer at psych.uib.no> said:
> >
> >>I am in the process of migrating from Windows XP to a MacBook Pro
> >>(Snow Leopard), and have simply copied a number of files from the
> >>Windows XP machine to the Mac Via an external hard disk and a memory
> >>stick. I then find that files which compile (to PDF) perfectly OK on
> >>the Windows machine give me an error message on the very first line,
> >>the \documentclass one gives me an error message: undefined control
> >>sequence.
> >>

> >This is probably a line endings problem.  There must be a program on
> >your system which converts the line endings, try fromdos, dos2unix,
> >flip, toix.
> >
> >HTH,
> >Oleg
> >
> Yes, it is some conversion issue.  If I enter a trivial document using
> the keyboard, it compiles all right, but it does not work with files
> coming from the Windows machine.

You can convert your files by opening a terminal in OSX and doing:

$ tr -d '\r' < inputfile > outputfile

which removes the return present at the end of each line in a Windows file.
(Windows has linefeed + return, unix has just linefeed).

I'm pretty sure OSX has tr.

If you want to convert a whole load of tex files:

$ cd <your tex files dir>
$ mkdir unix

$ for file in $(ls | grep 'tex');do
tr -d '\r' < $file > ./unix/$file