[texhax] biblatex package and Bibliography problems

Henrik Frisk frisk.h at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 22:55:08 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 12:29 PM, Ulrike Fischer <news3 at nililand.de> wrote:


> Make a copy of all your files in a new folder. Then move the
> \printbibliography and the \cite command directly behind
> \begin{document} and put a \end{document after \printbibliography.
> Then compile. If the problem persists something in your preamble is
> responsible. Start to remove things until you find the source of the
> problem.
> If the problem disappear in the short document start to move the
> \end{document} until you find the point where the problem start.
> Make sure to remove auxiliary files between the different tests and
> to run the complete compilation circle (latex + bibtex etc).

That sounds like a good method. I'll roll back to the previous version (0.7)
of biblatex and try to figure out what caused this error.

> > Now, I've tried upgrading to biblatex 0.8 but I can't get that to work at
> > all (so now I can't get a maningful logfile from my own source).
> Updating a large package like biblatex when you are approaching a
> deadline and when you don't actually know that your problem will be
> resolved by an update is asking for trouble.

Well, it isn't a decision I'm very proud of; I was panicking...

> Are you sure that you
> did install the new version correctly and that is now used? Did you
> put all the file in the correct places and did you remove all files
> from the older version?
> As far as I can tell, yes, but I haven't had any time today to dig in to
it. I will probably just go back to where I was (0.7) and deal with this
issue later.

> >  Trying to
> > run one of the biblatex examples (01--introduction.tex) results in:
> >
> > ! Undefined control sequence.
> > \biburlsetup ->\Urlmuskip
> >                           =0mu plus 2mu\relax \mathchardef
> \UrlBreakPenalty
> > ...
> > l.40 \cite{companion}
> >
> > Maybe a dependency problem?
> \Urlmuskip is defined in url.sty which is loaded by biblatex. The
> following works fine for me
> \listfiles
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{biblatex}
> \begin{document}
> \the\Urlmuskip
> \end{document}
> with versions:
>  article.cls    2007/10/19 v1.4h Standard LaTeX document class
>  size10.clo    2007/10/19 v1.4h Standard LaTeX file (size option)
> biblatex.sty    2009/07/04 v0.8e programmable bibliographies
> etoolbox.sty    2009/08/06 v1.8 e-TeX tools for LaTeX
>    etex.sty    1998/03/26 v2.0 eTeX basic definition package (PEB)
>  keyval.sty    1999/03/16 v1.13 key=value parser (DPC)
>  ifthen.sty    2001/05/26 v1.1c Standard LaTeX ifthen package (DPC)
>     url.sty    2006/04/12  ver 3.3  Verb mode for urls, etc.
> biblatex.def    2009/07/04 v0.8e biblatex generic definitions
> standard.bbx    2009/07/04 v0.8e biblatex bibliography style
>  numeric.bbx    2009/07/04 v0.8e biblatex bibliography style
>  numeric.cbx    2009/07/04 v0.8e biblatex citation style
> biblatex.cfg
>  english.lbx    2009/07/04 v0.8e biblatex localization
> Thanks, this will be useful!

> >
> > Not sure if it's meaningful but the attached small example works (!)
> Well working example are in general not really useful to find
> problems in non-working documents.
> I guess the reason I submitted the example was to show what kind of
citations that don't work in my document...

Anyways, thanks for the useful input. When (if) I find what caused the
problems I'll post it here.


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://tug.org/pipermail/texhax/attachments/20091207/c78373af/attachment-0001.html>

More information about the texhax mailing list