[texhax] biblatex package and Bibliography problems

Henrik Frisk frisk.h at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 11:39:21 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 9:50 AM, Ulrike Fischer <news3 at nililand.de> wrote:

> Am Sun, 6 Dec 2009 23:27:59 +0100 schrieb Henrik Frisk:
> >> I'm close to the end of a long process of proofreading and making
> >> corrections to may manuscript, and suddenly biblatex, which I use for my
> >> references, prints references with crossrefs in the following way:
> >>
> >> Bateson, Gregory. 'Cybernetic Explanation'. in: Steps to an Ecology of
> >> Mind. 2nd ed. University
> >> of Chicago Press, 1972. pp. 405-16.
> >>
> >> The 'in:' should be capitalized here (and was before, when I sent it off
> to
> >> the proofreader a month ago). It's the same with 'internal' bibtex
> fields
> >> such as 'translator':
> >>
> >> Attali, Jacques. Noise: The Political Economy of Music. trans. by B.
> >> Massumi
> >>
> >> After the full stop, clearly 'trans.' should be capitalized. I have no
> idea
> >> how to resolve this or what I did to produce it. *Any* hints or
> suggestions
> >> would be most welcome!
> >>
> >> I tried to update csquotes and biblatex and now I can't get latex to
> > compile the document at all... Meanwhile, I moved the files over to my
> old
> > computer and when running latex on it there, The "In:"s are capitalized
> as
> > they should. Right now I don't understand anything...  I may just do the
> job
> > on my old machine for now, time is running out.
> >
> > Again, if someone recognizes this or has any ideas as to why this would
> > happen, I'd be most interested to hear.
> Well obviously something changed. That can happen. But as you didn't
> give any useful informations (versions of biblatex on both
> computers, complete small example which demonstrates the problem and
> would show what style and language you are using, log-file) it is
> rather difficult to tell you more.
> Yes, I realize the information was limited, partly so because I felt so
stupid... Thing is, I can't reproduce it with a small example so (I was
thinking) the most likely reason is something's gone wrong in my sources
(this is a 150 page manuscript). I was running biblatex 0.7 on both machines
and I couldn't see any errors in the pdflatex output and bibtex did not

Now, I've tried upgrading to biblatex 0.8 but I can't get that to work at
all (so now I can't get a maningful logfile from my own source). Trying to
run one of the biblatex examples (01--introduction.tex) results in:

! Undefined control sequence.
\biburlsetup ->\Urlmuskip
                          =0mu plus 2mu\relax \mathchardef \UrlBreakPenalty
l.40 \cite{companion}

Maybe a dependency problem?

Not sure if it's meaningful but the attached small example works (!) but a
similar citation command in my manuscript does not work correctly.

Thanks again for any suggestions,

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://tug.org/pipermail/texhax/attachments/20091207/c18803a4/attachment-0001.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: bib-test.tex
Type: application/x-tex
Size: 922 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://tug.org/pipermail/texhax/attachments/20091207/c18803a4/attachment-0001.tex>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: bib.bib
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 461 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://tug.org/pipermail/texhax/attachments/20091207/c18803a4/attachment-0001.obj>

More information about the texhax mailing list