[texhax] derivatives and integrals: math operators

Natércia Fernandes natercia at eq.uc.pt
Mon Aug 24 19:18:14 CEST 2009

Hi all.

Sorry for not having thanked earlier who answered my question, but I was away
and read the answers only now.

When I put this question, I didn't mean to start any "war".  I just wanted to
be clarified whether it's more correct to use italic or upright "d" for
derivatives and integrals, since I do use them a lot and I do want to follow
the most appropriate notation.
I see the opinions are divided.  The mathematician Phil Parker defended
strongly the italic "d" as I have seen it elsewhere. The oher participants
that took a position defended the upright "d" (independently of being or not
mathematicians). It seems there isn't a rule (at least a pacifically followed
by everyone).

As a side product, I got another doubt: the derivatives and integrals are or
are not mathical operators? I thought they were, but Phil Parker said neither
of them was. However, Xavier Sabate also classified them as important operators
and others also referred to them as operators...

Once again, thanks to everyone who answered.
Natércia