[texhax] TeX -> epub

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Mon Aug 10 18:04:59 CEST 2009

On Aug 10, 2009, at 10:08 AM, D. R. Evans wrote:

> I can't think where else to ask this question, although it seems a bit
> off-topic. If there's somewhere better, please tell me.
>
> Nearly all my work for publication has been written using plain TeX.
> Now I
> want to try to make one text available as an epub document, and I find
> myself completely at a loss as to the best way to proceed. What
> tool(s)
> is/are available that would take plain TeX input and produce some
> kind of
> usable epub output?

epub authoring tools are few and far between at this point in time.

I don't know of any which accept plain tex as input --- though one
might be able to input LaTeX into OpenOffice, then use this:

http://infogridpacific.typepad.com/publishing_with_xml/2009/02/escape-open-office-to-EPUB-convertor.html

Here's a list of tools / commentary on .epub authoring tools:

http://www.helpandmanual.com/

http://blogs.adobe.com/billmccoy/2007/08/authoring_epub.html

Ultimately though a .epub is an xml file like to .html, so typical
conversion techniques should work --- good discussion here:

http://www.teleread.org/2008/05/16/epub-demystified-tomorrows-e-book-reader-the-web-browser/

If your markup is consistent and high-level enough you might be able
to do the conversion directly and manually:

http://www.jedisaber.com/eBooks/tutorial.asp

William

--
William Adams