[texhax] derivatives and integrals: math operators

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Aug 6 22:20:00 CEST 2009

On 6 August 2009 Phil Parker wrote:

 > On 08/06/2009 at 03:58 PM, Nat?rcia Fernandes <natercia at eq.uc.pt> wrote:

 >>Math operators should be typeset in upright letters and also have
 >>a special spacing.  So shouldn't the "d" of derivatives (or
 >>integrals) be set with upright letters, since both are
 >>mathematical operators?
 >
 > Neither is a mathematical operator as far as mathematicians are
 > concerned, and we also don't set all operators upright -- only
 > certain ones.

Hmm.  I always thought that everything except variables is written
upright.  There might be different conventions, but are there any
rules?  There was a similar discussion a few years ago.  I don't
remember the details, but I remember that someone told me that he has
a book published in 18?? in the UK with "d" typeset upright.

 > The convention you mention is one adopted by some physicists,
 > engineers, and other users of "applied" mathematics for reasons
 > with which most (if not all) "pure" mathematicians either just do
 > not agree or regard as plain wrong.

What are the reasons and what are the exceptions you mentioned above?

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25