[texhax] Colorful LaTeX Terminal Output

Uwe Lueck uwe.lueck at web.de
Mon Apr 27 10:04:13 CEST 2009

Oleg Katsitadze <olegkat at gmail.com> schrieb am 27.04.2009 01:42:31:
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:37:29PM -0400, Christopher Olah wrote:
> > It occurs to me that a LaTeX package that gives colorful output would
> > be nice.
> You can try processing this (test.tex, all characters are ASCII)
>
>     \message{This text in ^^1b[31mred^^1b[0m.}
>     \bye
>
> with the command
>
>     tex -translate-file=./esc.tcx test.tex
>
> placing the attached file (esc.tcx) in the same directory with
> test.tex.

It also works with my latex on my Linux with \typeout. Great, thanks!

I need \catcode`\^^1b=12 to avoid "invalid character".

I have found http://http://kb.iu.edu/data/adzf.html for other colours and effects.

> > I'm also curious to hear what others think of this idea.
> I think that nowadays people mostly use text editors to run TeX, and
> those editors probably never process the color escapes in the output.

I wonder about "editors" here. The screen output is generated by TeX from the input files, independent on editors. Or are you thinking of editors that suppress ^^1b in writing to the text file?

Cheers,

    Uwe.

[I wonder whether this is a HTML email]