[texhax] article formatting help?

Christopher Olah christopherolah.co at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 04:22:56 CEST 2009

> hello,

>i'm writing an article that needs to be 2-column, with abstract at
> the top going across both columns,

There's a way built into most document classes, but it's probably
easiest to just use the package multicol:

\begin{multicols}{2}%Or however many columns you want

The multicol package is very flexible and the appearance (eg. space
between columns, lines between columns) can be automatically.

> labeled sections with the content of
> 'materials' and 'methods' in a smaller font size, and citations in the
> bottom of each page rather than all at the end.  most of those elements i
> have already, but how do i specify a smaller font size for certain
> sections?

Just use { \small text}... For more sizes, see

> and how do i get the citations to appear on each page as they
> show up in the text?

Maybe use footnotes?

Christopher Olah

PS. I need to stop forgetting to click Reply To all. Sorry about the
double messages for Sara.

Christopher Olah
Email:   christopherolah.co at gmail.com