[texhax] Low-level TeX question: string substitution macro

Toby Cubitt tsc25 at cantab.net
Tue Apr 21 16:57:34 CEST 2009

Hi Uwe,

Yes, I made cleveref write out a sed script. As for the sed/awk/perl
debate, I personally prefer to use the simplest tool for the job: sed if
possible, awk if sed isn't up to it, and perl if the awk solution would be
too complicated. (I've never yet gotten as far as perl :)

I completely see why one might like to make cleveref write out a TeX
script instead (the script would then need to use one of the string
substitution packages you mention). The reasoning, of course, is that if
someone is using cleveref, then they're guaranteed to have TeX installed
and working, so by far the most portable and robust solution is to
generate a TeX script to carry out the desired string substitutions.

However, implementing this would be far more work than I'm prepared to put
into a feature that is simply a work-around that allows me (and maybe
others) to submit papers to journals that accept LaTeX but don't support
cleveref (i.e. all of them :-)

If someone wanted to contribute a patch that (optionally) generated a TeX
(or awk or perl) script, instead of a sed script, I'd be happy to include
it in cleveref...

Toby

PS: I read about the Mars rover project a while back. It definitely falls
into the "foolish quest" category :)