[texhax] Latin Modern Condensed Bold font?

Kathryn Hargreaves kathryn at cs.umb.edu
Mon Apr 13 18:14:59 CEST 2009

James,

You may be detecting a problem in the underlying design.  You have
centered (title/author) text on a "background" that is left-justified.
 One typographical rule of thumb is to not mix centered design with
left/right-justified elements.

If you do try out a right-justified (which would probably work better
than left-justified) title and author text, you'll also have to fool
around with the positioning, to get it to look good.  For instance,
the author text may need to be indented from the right-hand margin
(but not so much that it's centered).

Also note that if you use all caps, you want to add some tracking, as
it's harder to read all-caps words vs. u/lc.

Regards,

Kathy
typesetting at dangerouscurve.org

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 15:55:25 +0100
> From: "James Smith" <james.smith at aleph-one.com>
> Subject: [texhax] Latin Modern Condensed Bold font?
> To: <texhax at tug.org>
>
> Hi,
>

> I finished typesetting my book some time ago and I'm happy with the
> interior, but the cover text still bothers me. I'd initially used Latin
> Modern Bold and, as I recall, asked for alternatives on this mailing list.
> Latin Modern Condensed was suggested and I duly swapped over:
>

> \sffamily\fontseries{sbc}
>

> I'm not entirely happy with the results, however, I think the text weight is
> far too light and the result looks amateurish:
>

> http://www.aleph-one.com/php/coverimage.php?name=cover.jpg
>

> >From my (admittedly rather vague) understanding of font selection, 'Latin
> Modern Condensed Bold' would be something of a misnomer since both 'Bold'
> and 'Condensed' both pertain to the selection's series and therefore cannot
> be combined in the way that, say 'Italic' and 'Bold' can.
>

> Nonetheless, I've definitely seen bolder condensed fonts around. Can anyone
> suggest one? It will only be used for the cover and title pages so it
> doesn't really matter if it's not part of the Latin Modern collection
> (indeed I'm pretty sure Latin Modern doesn't provide anything suitable).
> Obviously something that is in keeping with Latin Modern is required,
> however.
>

> Many thanks in advance.
>

> Kind regards,
>

> James

> End of texhax Digest, Vol 2009, Issue 147

Kathryn Hargreaves
Co-owner, Dangerous Curve
Los Angeles, CA