[texhax] using align, array, eqnarry within tabular environment

Philip G. Ratcliffe philip.ratcliffe at fastwebnet.it
Thu Apr 9 21:21:33 CEST 2009

> I have a question regarding the use of align, array, or
> eqnarray within a table created by tabular. Align works fine
> by itself, or within a minipage. For example:
>
> [snip]
>
> However, the following (- align nested within tabular -)
> gives ! LaTeX Error: \begin{document} ended by \end{tabular}.
> ! Missing $ inserted. and so on...
>
> [snip]

This "behaviour" is, I believe, by design: align and co are display
environments and are not meant to be put inside boxes (as are used in
constructing tabes and arrays).  You might try either normal math blocks and
\displaystyle, as in $\displaystyle x=1$ or put the align environment inside
a minipage.

Cheers,   Phil