[texhax] Margins and spaces

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Thu Apr 2 09:31:26 CEST 2009

On  1 Apr, 2009, at 10:42, Dorothy Jammins wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am writing a class for my dissertation and I have a couple of
> questions:
>
> I am using the geometry package for the margins and I've noticed
> that the top margin is with respect to the midline (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_line
> ).
> Is this the correct behavior or have I done something wrong?

No, I don't think that's wrong per se, but you won't find universal
agreement on that either. Just take a look at the really amazing
memoir class manual ---in your terminal or Command Prompt,

texdoc memoir

The first part is one of the best works on the art of typography one
can read.

Building a class yourself I think requires an extraordinary amount of
time and effort you can avoid using a pre-configured class that
closely suits your needs and adapting it with packages like geometry,
fancyhdrs, titlesec, etc.; or maybe you would like to use the memoir
class itself, which, though I've never used it, I understand is very
configurable.

Best,

Axel