[texhax] TeXLive2008 for Kubuntu

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Wed Apr 1 10:19:13 CEST 2009

Karl Berry wrote:
>     you do not want to have both TeXLive 2007 (from Ubuntu) and TeX Live
>     2008 (from TUG) installed at the same time
>
> Why not have them both installed at the same time?  What does it hurt?
> That'd my advice, in general.  Unless there's a disk space issue.
>
> The Ubuntu packages can have Ubuntu LaTeX to satisfy their dependencies,
> and you can have TL installed (in /usr/local) for real work.  The TL
> install does not interact with the system stuff in any way, unless you
> go out of your way to make it do so.

that is true, but on many older laptops people do not have enough space
for two LaTeX dists. And it you don't set the paths right you end up
with the wrong LaTeX dist.

also, most people do not know about kpsewhich, so they will search their
systems in a regular way to look for the existence of a specific
package. And they don't know the difference between the two.

It is both to save space, but also not to confuse. We see more and more
users (bith Windows, MAC and Linux) that know absolutely nothing about
computers, so in my opinion, the less confusion (after installation) the
better.

> Lars, I'm sure you know this, though, so I'm confused about what you're
> saying.
>
> Not knowing anywhere near enough French or Danish to read either
> article, I guess I remain ignorant :).
>
> karl

I asked the original poster to translate it into english.

--

/daleif