[texhax] TexLive 2008

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI eduardo at kalinowski.com.br
Wed Sep 24 01:25:36 CEST 2008

Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> Eduardo M KALINOWSKI writes:
>  > Walter S?gesser wrote:
>  > > The distribution of the texlive2008.iso as a LZMA compression is
>  > > unbearable. A really bad idea. No doubt it compresses better, but on
>  > > every and each PC/MAC/Linux you have an unzipper ready to run. Rather
>  > > download 100 or even 500MB more than run after a decompressor.
>  > >
>  >
>  > If it's in zip format, you'll have to run a decompressor after in the
>  > same way.
>  >
>  > However, I do agree that the instructions for decompressing in Windows
>  > (involving the command prompt, redirection, etc.) are too complicated
>  > for the average Windows user. If some graphical decompressor (WinRar,
>  > 7zip, or whatever) supports decompressing lzma files, that tool should
>  > be described.
>
> Eh???   What the fuck are you talking about????????
>
> What do you mean with
>
>   "the instructions for decompressing in Windows"???????

I'm refering to what this user posted:
http://tug.org/pipermail/texhax/2008-September/011006.html . And those
instructions (using lzmadec from the command line) are indeed in the
page mentioned in the post, http://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire.html .

The ISO is useful if one wants to install TeXlive in several machines
(easier than setting up a proxy, at least).

PS: No need to CC me, thanks, I read the list.

--
I'm glad we don't have to play in the shade.
		-- Golfer Bobby Jones on being told that it was 105 degrees

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo at kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb