[texhax] Explicit inter-sentence space?

Tim McKenzie tjm1983 at gmail.com
Tue May 13 00:38:35 CEST 2008

2008/5/13 Donald Arseneau <asnd at triumf.ca>:
> Sam Rhoads <sam at perseus.hcc.hawaii.edu> writes:
>
>  > And, by the way, don't use ", use ''.
>
>  That's not a "by the way", that is the answer!
>
>  " is not correct input for end-quotes, and it hides the
>  punctuation from the end of sentence.

Thanks! I normally type '', but in this case there were "s in the text
I was working from, and I thought they were equivalent, so I didn't
bother changing them all. This solution even works with the \thinspace
I'm using to help distinguish adjacent quote-marks.

I'm still mildly curious about how to input a space of equivalent size
and stretchiness to an inter-sentence space. Perhaps Hartmut's answer
is the key, but I think I need the TeXbook to understand it. I wonder
how much it costs to ship it to New Zealand ...

Tim
<><