[texhax] Please don't feed the birds

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 11:30:25 CET 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 11:39 PM, Oleg Katsitadze <olegkat at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 09:10:32AM -0400, Victor Ivrii wrote:
>  > \documentclass[12pt]{article}
>  > \usepackage{cmap}
>  > \usepackage[T2A]{fontenc} %tells to use Russian fonts
>  > \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
>
>  If the purpose of the exercise is the result, not the process, it
>  might be the easiest and the most robust to use plain TeX and type
>  non-Latin characters as ^^xx, where xx is the hexadecimal position of
>  the glyph in the font.  Something like this:
>
>  -------------------->%--------------------
>  \font\birds=t2a-anttr \birds
>
>  % Russian
>  % Пожалуйста, не кормите птиц!
>  ^^cf^^ee^^e6^^e0^^eb^^f3^^e9^^f1^^f2^^e0,
>  ^^ed^^e5
>  ^^ea^^ee^^f0^^ec^^e8^^f2^^e5
>  ^^ef^^f2^^e8^^f6!

Actually the easiest way is to put
\input{cyracc.def}

and use wncyr fonts and translit.

All methods not involving native language inputs however are very
error prone and require very careful checking of the output.

>  % Ukrainian
>  % Будь ласка, не годуйте птахів!
>  ^^c1^^f3^^e4^^fc
>  ^^eb^^e0^^f1^^ea^^e0,
>  ^^ed^^e5
>  ^^e3^^ee^^e4^^f3^^e9^^f2^^e5
>  ^^ef^^f2^^e0^^f5i^^e2!
>
>  \bye
>  --------------------%<--------------------
>
>  Actually, this method has its own advantages -- it shows how to type
>  in various languages without having to switch keyboard layouts!

So has translit, but it requires input and many inputs could be conflicting

>  > \begin{document}
>  > Те, кто кормят птичек будут скормлены стервятникам!
>  > \end{document}
>  >
>  > which is the stern warning which (may be)  will prevent Russian
>  > speakers from feeding the birds :-)
>
>  I'm afraid this will be more of an encouragement than a determent :).

I am afraid that determined Russian cannot be stopped by anything.
Note that Germans also usu verbotten rather than bitte

>  Cheers,
>  Oleg

Victor