[texhax] bizarre problem with pdflatex - please help!

Dirk Petry dpetry at swissmail.org
Thu Mar 20 19:33:18 CET 2008

Hi,
I desperately need help.
I am using pdflatex under opensuse 10.3 (i.e. the latest version).
I have two computers with what I thought was exactly the same
installation. But on one computer the processing of my simple
.tex file works without problems. On the other computer I get
the following error message

 > pdflatex dpetry-cv.tex
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
entering extended mode
(./dpetry-cv.tex
LaTeX2e <2005/12/01>
Babel <v3.8h> and hyphenation patterns for english, usenglishmax,
dumylang, noh
yphenation, basque, bulgarian, coptic, welsh, czech, slovak, german,
ngerman, d
anish, esperanto, spanish, catalan, galician, estonian, finnish, french,
greek,
  monogreek, ancientgreek, croatian, hungarian, interlingua, ibycus,
indonesian,
  icelandic, italian, latin, mongolian, dutch, norsk, polish,
portuguese, pinyin
, romanian, russian, slovenian, uppersorbian, serbian, swedish, turkish,
ukengl
ish, ukrainian, loaded.
(./myarticle.cls

LaTeX Warning: You have requested document class `myarticle',
                but the document class provides `article'.

Document Class: article 2000/05/19 v1.4b Standard LaTeX document class
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base/size12.clo))

! LaTeX Error: File `html.sty' not found.

Type X to quit or <RETURN> to proceed,
or enter new name. (Default extension: sty)

---

I tried to reinstall everything from the default repositories.
I tried to compare the contents of the relevant directories on the
two computers. I tried to compare the settings of the environment
variables and the output of texconfig.
I can't find any difference between the two installations.

The missing file 'html.sty' is actually not missing!
It is in /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/html/html.sty !
As it is on the machine where everything is working.

I suspect some setup file is not correctly written.
But which one.
And how can this be if I installed everything as it
came from the repository on both machines?

Please help!

Thanks in advance.

Dirk