[texhax] Problems with Latex

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Sat Jun 14 00:37:33 CEST 2008

On Jun 12, 2008, at 22:19, Ury Passy wrote:

> Previously I was using the software Textures for Latexing and for
> several years all was O.K.. after introducing MAC OSX  I downloaded
> texshop and started to have problems. I  installed the package (1)
> MacTex-2007 and several of Gerben Wierda packages. I am using Tex
> and GhostScript for drawings. I get a white space without the
> drawing but no  error message.  However, on my Mac  laptop
> everything is O.K..Moreover when I write instead of \mbox \text on
> the Intel Mac I get an error and on my laptop everything is O.K.

Do you have MacTeX also in your laptop? \text needs amsmath, and in
the example you posted you don't have amsmath active.

I would advise you to subscribe to the TeX on Mac OS X mailing list

and post a minimal example of your problem, not just your preamble.
Also, the log file would be useful. One more advice: don't use
applemac as your input encoding, but utf8 (remember it is not enough
to put the encoding in your preamble; you have to tell TeXShop ---and
any other editor, for that matter--- to use it: TeXShop ->
Preferences -> Document tab -> Encoding pull down menu).

One more thing ---if you also write in Hebrew, you might want to
consider XeTeX:

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=xetex

You already have it in your MacTeX installation.

Best,

Axel