[texhax] Font scaling warnings

Michael Barr barr at math.mcgill.ca
Sat Jun 7 14:31:05 CEST 2008

I have been using the Zapf Chancery fonts.  However, as supplied, they
are just too small.  So I modified the ot1pzc.fd file by adding *[1.2]
at the appropriate place.  I know I should have made a new file with the
modification in it and tried that, but I could not figure out how to get
tex to read that one instead.  At any rate, the output looks right
(perhaps 1.15 would be better magnification) but I get a whole list of
Latex warnings:

(C:\miktex2.7\tex\latex\psnfss\ot1pzc.fd
File: ot1pzc.fd 2001/06/04 font definitions for OT1/pzc.
)

LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/pzc/mb/it' will be
(Font)              scaled to size 14.39996pt on input line 197.

LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/pzc/mb/it' will be
(Font)              scaled to size 9.59998pt on input line 197.

LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/pzc/mb/it' will be
(Font)              scaled to size 7.19998pt on input line 197.

[1] [2]

LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/pzc/mb/it' will be
(Font)              scaled to size 11.99997pt on input line 316.

LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/pzc/mb/it' will be
(Font)              scaled to size 8.39998pt on input line 316.

LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/pzc/mb/it' will be
(Font)              scaled to size 5.99998pt on input line 316.

Later on I got the warning

LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `OT1/pzc/mb/it' will be
(Font)              scaled to size 17.27994pt on input line 1134.

Line 197 uses the font twice, both as subscripts while line 316 has no
reference to that font at all.  The first usage of the full-size fonts
is on line 217.  Line 1135 (not 1134) contains the first usage of a
lower case character in the font.

Are these warnings of any significance?  Why, when I am using it in only
two sizes, are there seven such warnings, three not associated with any
usage and none associated with the first usage of the larger size?

And is there any better documentation of NFSS (by now it should be
called OFSS) than there was in the 90s?

Michael Barr