[texhax] a strange problem

Randy Schilling RChilling at comcast.net
Fri Jul 25 23:41:25 CEST 2008

Dear Sir --

I have a tex file containing a short book, 15 or 16 pages.
Its toc is created in an automated manner using \write commands, an
auxiliary file, and requiring that the ambient file be texed twice.
Everything works fine if the book's title and the command to input the
auxiliary file are separated by a \break or an \eject.
This tells me that the commands in the auxiliary file CAN work.

I get the following error message though when the book's title and the
command to input the auxiliary file are separated by a \bigskip
(or apparently anything that does not involve \break):
		"Runaway argument {An Equation Referenc
                        ! file ended while scanning use of \olfileline."
and the error message continues.
\olfileline is a tex macro used only in the auxiliary file and "An Equation
Referencing System." is one of its arguments.
If I continue tex after this error then tex ignores the rest of the
auxiliary file and runs to the end of the ambient file
without further error.

I've provided very little in the way of details but I don't know what else
to say without opening up a flood of details.
If this suggests anything to you then I'd very much like to hear it.

Regards -- Randy