[texhax] Style

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Jul 20 05:07:02 CEST 2008

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI writes:
 > On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 10:41:07 +0100, PR Stanley (prstanley at ntlworld.com) wrote:
 > > For example, is there a mathematics
 > > equivalent of the Harvard system for typesetting essays? It's that
 > > sort of thing I'm after.
 >
 > None that I know of, but as a matter of fact, there isn't much freedom
 > in mathematics typesetting. Regarding spacing, Latex does a really
 > good job, and one should not have to change anything. (One exception
 > is the eqnarray environment, which shouldn't be used, anyway.)

TeX usually does everything correctly by default.  However, there are
some exceptions:  You'd like to write

  y=\int f(x) \mathrm{d}x

Also "e" is usually not typeset in italics...

A very good paper which explains how to typeset math formulas,
regarding all the related ISO standards, had been published by the
PTB.  PTB stands for "Physikalisch Technische Bundesanstalt".  This
organisation is comparable with the National Buro of Standards in
the United States.

Rolf, the paper is outstanding, could you clear the copyright issues
with the PTB?  It would be nice if it can be part of TeX Live.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25