[texhax] Swedish Characters

Martin Jönsson martinljonsson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 14:32:53 CEST 2008

Dear TUG,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to turn to. Appologies if it
is not. I'm a new mactex user from sweden who is having problems with
getting documents to display the swedish charactera å ä and ö.

I've tried

\usepackage[swedish]{babel}
\usepackage[encoding]{inputenc}

but this generated the error message:

file 'encoding.def' not found

i don't know where to find the file or once found where to put it (i'm
also a novice mac user)

I've also tried (which was recomended somewhere else)

\usepackage[swedish]{babel}
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}

but this generated the error message

!Package inputeenc Error: Keyboard character used is undefined
(inputenc)          in inputencoding 'latin1'.

I'd be very grateful if you could help me with this or direct me to
someone who can.

all the best,
Martin Jönsson