[texhax] steady decline in tug membership ?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Jan 30 23:41:05 CET 2008

    I read somewhere on the tug website that there has been a steady
    decline in membership.  Why is this ?

I don't know where you read it (if you can find it again, let me know),
but it is not true any more.  TUG gained about 75 members in 2007 over
2006, and 2006 and 2005 were essentially steady (difference of 10
members out of ~1500).

TUG did lose members each year between 2001-2005, which I attribute to a
combination of many people getting on the Internet (hence no need to get
the CD's) and TUGboat falling (way) behind schedule.

    Could it be that non-members find they don't really need it ?

It is undoubtedly true that the vast majority of TeX users have no need
to join TUG.  It's not like you have to join TUG to get the software :).

Many people join TUG because they care about TeX and friends and want to
support it, not because they have a desperate need for TUGboat or the
other benefits.

    I have joined only recently.

Thanks for your support :).

Best,