[texhax] Suppressing page numbers on float pages

Andrew Clegg andrew.clegg at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 16:16:41 CET 2008

Hi folks,

I hope this isn't a silly question, but I couldn't find an answer in
any of the usual sources, even though it must be quite common.

Is there a trick to suppressing the page number on a float page? I
can't make it work.

I have two large figures that LaTeX has put on a single page each,
consecutively -- call them pages 104 and 105. I need to get rid of the
page number on 104, because the figure's caption has nowhere else to
go but down there, but no matter where I put my \thispagestyle{empty},
it never affects either of the floats.

If I put it before, inside (!) or shortly after the definition of the
figure that's on 104, the page number on page 103 disappears instead,
and 104 stays. If I then gradually move it down the document, at a
certain point the gap 'jumps' and the number disappears from p. 106
instead. At no intermediate point does it affect 104 or 105. Is that
making sense?

I assume it's processing the thispagestyle before it moves the figures
around, and so generates new pages for them after that command has
taken effect in the wrong place. Any suggestions would be gratefully
received.

Cheers,

Andrew.