[texhax] Jan 2008 TUG news: renewals, conferences, software, journals, interviews
tug-news at tug.org
tug-news at tug.org
Tue Jan 29 00:37:53 CET 2008
Dear TeX users,
The usual assortment of news and information ...
- TUG 2008 (http://tug.org/tug2008) will return to Cork, Ireland, again
hosted by Peter Flynn, July 21-24, 2008. The deadline for submission
of abstracts is April 30, 2008; more details at
- Other upcoming meetings include:
BachoTeX 2008 in Bachotek, Poland:
April 30-May 4, 2008: http://www.gust.org.pl/BachoTeX/2008
(web site and call for papers will be live soon).
The second ConTeXt user meeting, in Bohinj, Slovenia,
August 20-25, 2008: http://meeting.contextgarden.net/2008.
- Thanks to the generous sponsorship of the AMS, TUG had a very
successful exhibition booth at 2007 Joint Mathematics Meeting. Thanks
to those of you who stopped by! One of the items we gave away at the
JMM was a TeX calendar with images from the TeX Showcase
(http://tug.org/texshowcase). If you like, you can print the calendar
for yourself; A4 and letter-size PDF's are at http://tug.org/calendar.
- On the software side, Christian Schenk has released MiKTeX 2.7
(http://miktex.org); the main new feature is the inclusion of
XeTeX. Thomas Feuerstack has released the corresponding proTeXt
(http://tug.org/protext), available from
- The MacTeX distribution (http://tug.org/mactex) is still essentially
that of TeX Live 2007, but the developers have released some updates
so that it will work smoothly with Leopard.
- Work on TeX Live 2008 is progressing; the developers hope it will be
released by this summer, in time for the TUG'08 conference.
- The first issue of TUGboat for 2008 is the EuroBachoTeX 2007
conference proceedings, a collaborative effort with DANTE, GUST, and
other user groups. It mailed a few days ago from Germany, to all 2007
and 2008 members.
- We are collecting material for the second (regular) 2008 issue now,
and welcome contributions of whatever sort (articles, notices,
announcements, advertisements, ...); see http://tug.org/TUGboat.
- Issue 2007-4 of the PracTeX Journal has been published; it is
available at http://tug.org/pracjourn. The theme of this issue is
Teaching LaTeX and TeX.
- The interview series continues, with Peter Gordon, Ross Moore,
and Susan DeMeritt & Cheryl Ponchin being the most recent
We are considering publishing the interviews as an inexpensive (but
nicely typeset) book, but before doing the work to produce it, we'd
like to know if there is any interest. If you might be interested in
buying such a book, please drop a short note to interviews at tug.org,
As always, we appreciate your support!
Karl Berry (President) on behalf of the TUG Board
More information about the texhax