[texhax] Hyphenation

justanotheradress at gmail.com justanotheradress at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 04:13:51 CET 2008

Hello list

I have exactly one issue which is bothering me all the time in LaTeX:
Hyphenation.

I spent quite a while in searching for a handy solution to specify the
area where LaTeX shouldn't hyphenate words - with no luck. Microsoft
Office (yes I used the bad word) allows you to define an area where no
hyphenation is permitted. I wish I had something similar in LaTeX;
maybe an area in mm or in characters (meaning don't hyphenate when
only x characters are left before/after the hyphenation). I know about
"hyphenpenalty", "\begin{sloppypar}", "\sloppy, "\hbox{}",
"\hyphenation{}", "\mbox{}", etc., but those aren't real solutions and
certainly not very effective in a >100-page document...

Is there something I just missed in my research or is what I'm looking
for just not existent?

Any hint is much appreciated!