[texhax] Latin modern typewriter font and single quotes

James Smith james.smith at aleph-one.com
Sat Jan 5 15:30:52 CET 2008

Reinhard, Pierre, hi,

thanks for the replies.

As far as I can tell, straight down single quotes are 0027 and then
there are two opposing single quotes 0060 and 00b4. When I cut and paste
0027 from Windows character map into my tex file and texify, however,
00b4 seems to get rendered. Try:

+++

\usepackage{lmodern}

\begin{verbatim}
'''
\end{verbatim}

+++

Is this not then a problem with encoding?

I recall that \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} fixed the problem of brackets
being rendered wrongly in Latin modern. Compare...

+++

\usepackage{lmodern}
%\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

\begin{verbatim}
{}
\end{verbatim}

+++

...with or without the fontenc line commented out. Is there not a
similar "fix" for single quotes? There seems to be no documentation for
fontenc, so I'm stuck.

Or is the glyph for 0027 drawn like 00b4 rather than just straight down?

My small brain hurts.

Best,

James