[texhax] TeX to (editable) Word?

Torsten Wagner torsten.wagner at fh-aachen.de
Wed Feb 13 11:12:31 CET 2008

Dear Ahmed,

I had to fiddle around a lot with TeX<-->MS Word conversion. However, it
is a quite painful act and most of the time you will be happy if you are
able to convert the text with a minimum of text-highlighting (italic,
bold, superscript, etc.) I never were able to convert math-equation in
an editable format. Thanks M$ for not showing us how they read and
control there doc-format.

However, there might be some roundabouts which might help you out.
First of all there are tools which create a picture of the equation and
this can be placed in the MSWord document. This is for sure not editable
anymore.

There is another free tool as well which is called TeXaide (Windows
only) [1].
As far as I can remember with this tool you can create equations (in a
GUI-style manner, good for your colleagues, bad for you), convert this
to LaTeX code for yourself and in addition this tool provides
OLE-objects to paste the equations in programs like MS-Word. If I
remember correctly, at least for the Latex-Code there is a comment which
includes the complete OLE-string thus you can easily copy this back to
the program and edit the equation. For MS-Word, OLE-Objects mostly can
be open and edited by double-click on the equation itself.

However, you and your colleagues are forced to use this little program.
And you cannot really synchronise all changes ....

Maybe this helps a bit

Greetings

Torsten

[1] http://www.dessci.com/en/products/texaide/

Ahmed Shehada schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> Just a quick question on the compatibility of TeX. I understand the
> primary output of the SW is in PDF or DIV format, with the possibility
> of getting other formats like HTML, RTF, and more. I was also told about
> other tools that convert TeX to word docs, however, from what I've seen
> so far I wouldn't be able to edit the math formulae in MS Word.
>
> I will be preparing some course notes that include many Math equations,
> so I wanted to use TeX for it's easy of dealing with equations but at
> the same time make the notes available in (editable) MS Word format for
> my colleages who would like to review/edit these notes but do not use TeX.
>
> Your help is appreciated.
>
> Ahmed

Dipl.-Ing. Torsten Wagner, MSc
University of Applied Sciences Aachen Campus Juelich
Institute for Nano- and Biotechnologies (INB)
Ginsterweg 1, D-52428 Juelich, Germany
Tel.: +49 241 600953215 or +49 2461 612466
Fax: +49 2461 600953235
Email: torsten.wagner at fh-aachen.de
and
Research Centre Juelich GmbH
Institute of Bio- and Nanosystems (IBN-2)
D-52425 Juelich