[texhax] Spacing in \[\] environment

Donald Arseneau asnd at triumf.ca
Mon Feb 11 22:54:38 CET 2008

"James Smith" <james.smith at aleph-one.com> writes:
> two spacing issues that are annoying me...
>
> * The vertical space beneath the maths environment seems way to small to
> me. A suitable amount of vertical space is placed above the maths
> environment, about one line's worth, but below, hardly any space is
> inserted. Is there some way to change this globally?

The parameters are \belowdisplayskip and \belowdisplayshortskip.  They should
be equal and equal to \abovedisplayskip (\abovedisplayshortskip should be smaller).

Since they are normally set equal, you must be doing something to change
that.  Either you have set the parameters somewhere, or you are fiddling
with white space in the document.

My cloudy crystal ball says you may be leaving a blank line before the
\[, which causes a blank paragraph line to occur.

> * Within the maths environment itself, horizontal space is inserted
> around an array environment.

No it isn't.  The space is the "\arraycolsep" around the outermost columns.
Try \begin{array}{{}ccc{}}

Donald Arseneau                          asnd at triumf.ca