[texhax] bibtex question: No line feeds between entriesbibliography output format

Philip G. Ratcliffe philip.ratcliffe at fastwebnet.it
Wed Apr 30 11:06:06 CEST 2008

> I am using the abbr bib style, but instead of something like this:

I assume you mean abbrv.bst

> [1] J. Shorter. Hsp104 a weapon to combat diverse
> neurodegenerative disorders. NeuroSignals, 16:63-74, 2008.
>
> [2] S. Sipione and E. Cattaneo. Modeling Huntingtons disease
> in cells, flies, and mice. Molecular Neurobiology, 23(1):23-51, 2001.
>
> [3] S. Sipione and E. Cattaneo. Yeast genes that enhance
> toxicity of a mutant huntintin fragment ir alphasynuclein.
> Science, 302:1769-1772, 2003.
>

> I would like to have something like this:
>
> [1] J. Shorter. Hsp104 a weapon to combat diverse
> neurodegenerative disorders. NeuroSignals, 16:63-74, 2008.
> [2] S. Sipione and E. Cattaneo. Modeling Huntingtons disease
> in cells, flies, and mice. Molecular Neurobiology,
> 23(1):23-51, 2001. [3] S. Sipione and E. Cattaneo. Yeast
> genes that enhance toxicity of a mutant huntintin fragment ir
> alphasynuclein. Science, 302:1769-1772, 2003.
>
> Yes, all entries without separating line feeds. If you are
> wondering, it is for a space-limited proposal.

This is a very nasty hack, but it does what you want.

Either

1) Just after the begin{thebibliography} line in your bbl file put

\makeatletter\def\item{\refstepcounter\@listctr\@itemlabel\space}\makeatothe

but you will need to redo it every time you run BibTeX, or

2) Edit abbrv.bst and call it something different (e.g., abbrvhacked.bst),
then just after the line

  "\begin{thebibliography}{"  longest.label  * "}" * write$ newline$

add

"\makeatletter\def\item{\refstepcounter\@listctr\@itemlabel\space}\makeatoth
er" write$ newline$

Then, of course, use \bibliographystyle{abbrvhacked} in your main LaTeX
file.  For this to be found by BibTeX, you will need to either refresh your
filename database, or save it in your current working directory.

Cheers,  Phil