[texhax] Adding packages to mactex (TeXshop)

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Wed Apr 16 23:29:05 CEST 2008

On  16 Apr, 2008, at 14:12, vittorio wrote:

> I'm a newbye with mac os x and mactex. Now, reading in the
> internet, I added
> the package translator.sty taken from CTAN under ~/Library/texmf

If you mean ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/, then it is the right place.

> but texshop is unable to see it.
> Under FreeBSD I use the command mktexlsr to update the packages.

You don't need to run mktexlsr (or its alias texhash) for anything
you put into ~/Library/texmf, but only if you make changes to /usr/
local/texlive/texmf-local/.

Does kpsewhich find your file? In Terminal.app:

kpsewhich translator.sty

If you still have problems ---and even if you don't---, I would
advise you to join the TeX on Mac OS X Mailing List: