[texhax] Q: how to generate PS font from MF input?

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 23:31:42 CEST 2008

William Adams said the following at 04/11/2008 11:44 AM :
> On Apr 11, 2008, at 12:55 PM, D. R. Evans wrote:
>
>> Now that I'm trying to render the output as PDF with pdftex. So I
>> think
>> that means that I have to have the font available as a Type 1 font.
>> I've
>> googled around, and it appears that metapost is the right program to
>> use
>> for this task, but I can't find any explanation of how exactly to
>> use it to
>> create a PS version of the font. Does anyone have a pointer to a
>> detailed
>> example of how to do this?
>

> Metapost will allow you to make a vector outline of the font's glyphs,
> it won't directly make a computer font. Metatype1 however, will do
> what you want:
>
> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/utilities/metatype1/

The installation says "move the resulting mf2pt1.mem file someplace where
metapost can find it".

I've tried all kinds of places, but mf2pt1 keeps complaining that it can't
find it. Do you have any idea where it should go?

----

[H:tex] mf2pt1 PAL10.MF
Invoking "mpost -mem=mf2pt1 -progname=mpost '\mode:=localfont; mag:=100;
bpppix 0.02; input PAL10.MF'"...
This is MetaPost, Version 0.993 (Web2C 7.5.6)
kpathsea: Running mktexfmt mf2pt1.mem
I can't find the mem file `mf2pt1.mem'!
mf2pt1: "mpost -mem=mf2pt1 -progname=mpost '\mode:=localfont; mag:=100;
bpppix 0.02; input PAL10.MF'" failed (Bad file descriptor)

----

  Doc