[texhax] minipage : figure / table relationship

Bryan W. Lepore Bryan.Lepore at umassmed.edu
Wed Apr 2 21:33:36 CEST 2008

i noticed that many webpages document getting tables to be side-by-side
with figures, esp. w/ minipage, but none (so far) about "stacked"
placement -- i tried a \\ in my minipage (see below for code -- b/c
\parindent is zero?)...

just wanted to check if there's a fundamental reason for that in minipage,
before i begin overhauling my figure with a minipage in it.

-bryan

(latex code follows):

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
% trying to get minipage in figure to put figure below table.
\usepackage{graphicx}
%-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
\begin{document}
\begin{figure}
   \begin{minipage}[c]{0.7\textwidth}
   \tiny
   \scriptsize

%------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   %%                                BEGIN TABLE

%------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   \begin{tabular}[t]{|l|l||l|l|}\hline
   \multicolumn{4}{|c|}{example table} \\ \hline

%------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   one thing     & another    & 3rd thing      & last thing  \\ \hline

%------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   \end{tabular}
   \small
   \label{table:example-table-in-figure}
   \end{minipage}

%-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   %%                              END TABLE : BEGIN FIGURE

%-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   \begin{minipage}[c]{0.20\textwidth}

\fbox{\includegraphics[width={1.5\textwidth},scale=1.1,angle=0]{example_image}}
   \end{minipage}
%%                           END FIGURE : BEGIN CAPTION
\caption[example figure with table]{ example figure with table.}
\label{figure:example-table-in-figure}
\end{figure}

\end{document}