[texhax] Resolution of Vista installation problems

Michael Barr barr at math.mcgill.ca
Thu Sep 13 18:30:34 CEST 2007

A week or so ago, I wrote to this list of my problems installing tex under
Vista.  TexLive2007 installed and even ran properly (as far as I tested
it, which wasn't very far), but for some undetermined reason, dviout could
not make fonts.  Finally Karl Berry recommended I write to the Miktex
support group, which I did and, not without one or two problems, installed
Miktex.  It seems to run fine and the viewer, Yap, has no trouble making
fonts.  The one post-installation problem I had was adding an fd file and
running mktexlsr.  It claimed the file (presumably lsr) was in use.  Later
it ran and I can only assume there was still some installation going on in
the background.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and I can only advise others to try
miktex.  I assume TexLive2008 will have fixed this, but there is no way of
knowing.

Michael