[texhax] Problem with dviout

Michael Barr barr at math.mcgill.ca
Sun Sep 2 20:14:55 CEST 2007

I have just installed texlive 7 on a new computer running vista.  I do not
know how to use dviout so I tried to run dviout.dvi.  Unfortunately, the
font generation failed.  Since I have not successfully run the document
file, I am not sure how to proceed.  Here is the message I got:

C:\Windows\system32>C:\TEXLIV~1\bin\win32\mktexpk.exe --mfmode / --dpi 600
--bdp
i 600 --mag 600/600 cmr17
'mf' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
running mf: No such file or directory
mktexpk: Mismatched mode ljfour and resolution 600; ignoring mode.
mktexpk: Running mf "\mode:=ljfour; mag:=600/600; nonstopmode; input
cmr17"
'mf' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
command mf "\mode:=ljfour; mag:=600/600; nonstopmode; input cmr17" return
1
mktexpk: warning: can't open log file cmr17.log.
mktexpk: `mf "\mode:=ljfour; mag:=600/600; nonstopmode; input cmr17"'
failed

I had accepted the full installation from the disk supplied by TUG.  Can
anyone help?

Michael Barr