[texhax] [Fwd: Re: Problem with Adobe Reader 8]

James Quirk jjq at galcit.caltech.edu
Wed Oct 31 15:24:04 CET 2007

> Pierre MacKay <pierre.mackay at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > As you see, we are trying to get the recognition of a bug in AR8
> > across as well.
>
> Pierre means that I have been in touch with an Adobe QC engineer, who
> will submit a bug this morning on the topic.  Who knows what happens
> then, but I'll let you all know.
Sorry I didn't see this post before I sent mine.

> My contact had a further question, assuming that whoever is responsible
> can be persuaded it's a bug.  In his own capacity as a guy who sets up
> tests that Adobe software has to pass, he wondered whether a few short
> documents could be generated with which to test future versions of the
> Reader.  If anyone would like to send me such documents -- single page
> files that contain ligatures and any other special font features you can
> think of, and where failure to display them is obvious -- he might be
> able to add them to the test suite.
I have a number of test documents that show problems with AR8's
interactive features. For example:

http://www.amrita-cfd.org/4adobe/media-player/test1.pdf

shows a peculiarity that causes Linux/AR to exit without warning
(just hit the play button twice) and:

http://www.amrita-ebook.org/4adobe/doc-ordering/jjq-test1.pdf
http://www.amrita-ebook.org/4adobe/doc-ordering/jjq-test2.pdf

show there's a problem with document-ordering when dealing
with embedded PDF's in fullscreen mode.

I understand that these tests do not cover font issues,
but if your contact is interested in beefing up AR's tests
across the board then I would be more than happy to supply
some stress tests.

James