[texhax] [pdftex] DVI to HTML mechanism demo

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Tue Oct 30 11:10:28 CET 2007

On Oct 29, 2007, at 1:55 PM, Chris Rowley wrote:

> William (had said)
>
>> One obvious improvement that could be made here would be to use svg
>> instead of bitmaps
>
> Why not MathML for the maths?  ... !!

http://www.w3.org/Math/iandi/

It'd be different if Mozilla weren't at a prototype stage, and IE's
support was ``working on a technology''. I'm impressed w/ jsmath, and
I see it as a useful work-around until all the major browsers get
mathml support (at which time I hope it can be adapted to seamlessly
convert between (la)tex source to mathml representation).

> But I agree that SVG should take over the world for really useful
> visuals on the web; at one stage it had quite a rich text model,
> soemewhat like PDFs but that got dropped and it is now too simple for
> serious textual stuff.
>
>> --- convert the glyphs to paths
>
> that will nver look good on screens will it?

Anti-aliasing makes hinting much less important, and an anti-aliased
svg on-screen should look as good as the anti-aliased bitmap now
being used, but will print _much_ better.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer