[texhax] [pdftex] DVI to HTML mechanism demo

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Oct 28 00:08:12 CEST 2007

Hi Graham,

    Possibly, but I don't see a single page there that looks like HTML
    output from TeX!

Indeed, I'm sure Eitan (Gurari, the author of tex4ht) did not make his
web pages in TeX, and sees no reason to do so.  That was never his main
goal with tex4ht.  But I see no reason it can't be used to do it.

For an example, http://tug.org/texlive/doc/texlive-en/live.html is the
TeX Live document, written as a LaTeX document and processed with
tex4ht.

tex4ht is included in TeX Live.  If you want to play with tex4ht, I
recommend installing TeX Live, instead of trying to do it from the
original sources.

There are other tex-to-html converters, but I am a bit doubtful that ny
of the others are flexible enough for the job you are envisioning.
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=LaTeX2HTML

tex4ht is amazingly flexible/configurable, but beware, documentation is
sparse.  Here is an intro article by Eitan:
http://tug.org/TUGboat/Articles/tb25-1/gurari.pdf

Whenever I run into trouble with tex4ht, I end up mailing Eitan :(.

Best,
Karl