[texhax] Acrobat 8 and ligatures

Pierre MacKay pierre.mackay at comcast.net
Sat Oct 27 18:52:17 CEST 2007

Herbert Voss wrote:

>Pierre MacKay schrieb:
>

>>Has anyone else been clobbered by the discovery that Adobe Acrobat 8
>>tacitly suppresses all ligature glyphs of the fi, fl, ff, ffi, and ffl
>>sort and displays blanks in their place.  They do this without warning,
>>so that a file which displays perfectly well in Acrobat 7 is made
>>unreadable in Acrobat 8.
>>

>I have the same problem with the Multiple Master font Minion
>and the ff and ffi ligatures, when converting the document with
>GhostScript. With the Distiller it is ok. Adobe was not able to find
>the problem ...

That is good news, in a way.  It still remains that files which display
correctly in Adobe 7 have become useless in
Adobe 8.  Adobe 8 has clearly made some hidden changes.  But I guess the
Ghostscript people will have to find out what those are.

I shall now try the on-line Distiller provided by Adobe, and see how
that works.

(Apologies for the misleading subject line.)

Pierre MacKay