[texhax] Short article on the need for open source mathematical software

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Fri Oct 26 01:37:08 CEST 2007

This new one-page opinion may be of interest to some readers of this
list:

@String{j-NAMS = "Notices of the American Mathematical Society"}

@Article{Joyner:2007:OSM,
  author =       "David Joyner and William Stein",
  title =        "Open Source Mathematical Software",
  journal =      j-NAMS,
  volume =       "54",
  number =       "10",
  pages =        "1279--1279",
  month =        nov,
  year =         "2007",
  CODEN =        "AMNOAN",
  ISSN =         "0002-9920",
  bibdate =      "Thu Oct 25 17:28:47 2007",
  URL =          "http://www.ams.org/notices/200710/tx071001279p.pdf",
  acknowledgement = ack-nhfb,
}

In the article, the authors point out the importance for mathematics
of having software used for proofs and the like being open and freely
accessible to others.  They refer to an ongoing development in this
direction, the SAGE system:

	http://www.sagemath.org/

They also comment: